Sunday 8 February 2009

Turning 29? Yeah, sure ... why not ...

So, a week from tomorrow I'm going to have a birthday. It's a scary birthday because it means I'm going into the last year of decade. This particular decade is the one that is supposed to be the one that defines us, sets us up and makes us who we are as people. Me, personally find that it's just a beginning because my head is still as far up my ass as it was ten years ago. My 20s are almost over, I'm turning 29. Wow, twenty-nine. That's not old by any means but it's an age that I used to plan for. As a little girl I'd think to myself, "When I'm old, like twenty-nine, I'm going to be married to Donnie Wahlberg (yes, that is a New Kids on the Block reference) and have two babies and house with a pool and a car". Oh my. Sort of turned that fantasy on it's ear.



Why does that particular age sound so phony? What I mean is this: when someone says they are twenty-nine we usually look at them like "yeah right, how far into your thirties are you?". So, here I am turning twenty-nine for the very first time. I say the first time because I plan on turning twenty-nine again next year and the year after. Well, maybe not because I am oddly looking forward to turning thirty. The prospect of getting older doesn't really frighten me because I have come to the conclusion that getting older only breeds knowledge and maturity. Both of these are things that I am looking forward to. I'm already looking back and shaking my head and some of things I did and said along the way -- hindsight.


Do I have any big plans for my First Twenty-Ninth Birthday?? No, not really. I think I'll just do what I do every birthday and avoid the world. I'll snuggle in at home and enjoy the day. Spend time with the babies, enjoy my Happy Birthday phone calls and maybe a visit. I don't really want to party or go out or get crazy. I might change my mind when the time comes but right now, I think quiet is the best way to go. Reflect and think about the last year ... the last nine years since turning twenty and see where my life has gone, how I can change those things I'm not happy with and how I can make those things I am happy with last.


Do I want any presents? No. I don't want a single thing. What I'd like for my birthday is hugs from my kids and that's about it. Well, that and a million dollars, a muscle-bound Swedish masseuse, a self-cleaning toilet and a trip to the moon. Actually, I would give anything to spend my birthday with my parents and my daughter. You know, I might do just that and make a trip to the graveyard. I should be thanking them for giving me the ability to have a birthday. If it wasn't for my parents, I couldn't be sitting here now and blogging my random nonsense.


So, I'll raise a little toast to Ma, Da and Mommy and say thank you for giving me the life that I am screwing up and thank you to my little girl Hannah for showing me how precious life really is.

Blog Advertising - Get Paid to Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on...let me know what you think... or just follow me on twitter @blueallieboo and rant to me there ;)