Monday 1 March 2010

Just a rant ...

I'm supposed to be working. Not doing a very good job of it though. I guess that's the problem with being trusted to get work done from home is that it's very easy to slack off. Truth is, I just don't have it in me to pay enough attention. I spent all weekend thinking about the stuff I had to get caught up on at work; spent Sunday trying to figure out what time I was going to get to work after my appointment with the school and the errands I had to run before I got on that ferry; and then, spent this morning thinking about either getting to work earlier than expected or running around downtown for a little while enjoying a crisp March morning in the city.


I opted for getting there earlier which was good because I spent the rest of the day getting caught up on emails, server back-ups, burning photo DVDs, taking meeting minutes, chasing inspection updates, scratching my head when trying to get my filing in order and making lists of stuff I have to move to the server in the morning before I update again. I still have to clean out my drawer and put my coveralls in the dirty basket to be taken to the cleaners along with the rest of some pics I have to file.


OH EHM GEE!! I am obsessed! Work. Good ole work. Here I am, at 21:19 hours on my work laptop trying to type up meeting minutes before I start updating a spreadsheet that will only have to be updated tomorrow when I get back to my little shipyard trailer. I think I'll give up and type up some of the notes before I forget how to read my swiftly scribbled, far from neatly written hen-scratch of personal shorthand. Other than that, I'm done. I don't get paid to work from home anymore so honestly, I'm going to lay on the couch and watch some guilty pleasure TV while I ponder other things. Things that don't involve the refitting of an oil rig. Excuse me, accommodation and supply rig.


The house is eerily quiet except for a few small noises. I can hear Chloe talking in her sleep. The hummm of my washer. The TV is mumbling away. The keys are clicking while I type. An odd tiny meow from the kittens. And every now and then, a whistle from my budgies. All that noise and I'm still finding it quiet. Weird.


I have to go grab the phone ... this quiet is driving me crazy ... I think I'm getting used to hustle and bustle of busy mornings getting the babies ready and out the door which is quickly followed by listening to strange conversations on the bus. Once the bus is done, it's the ferry terminal and smiling at the Tim Horton's lady while she makes my tea. They're getting to know me and my order but I'm thinking that's because I tip well. Then the ferry ride which is usually quiet but it's off the ferry and down the hill to the shipyard where I spend my days doing what I already listed in the beginning of this post. Once I'm in my trailer I'm surrounded by people and rush and conversation. The day ends and I either jump in the car with Superman where I stare at him singing along to music and wonder what happened to us and why I still feel so close to him even though we're no longer together and just clinging onto a friendship. If it's not Superman, it's the ferry that is followed by a half an hour wait for a bus to go get Little Miss and my Little Man. Conversation about their day and we're off to get Miss Lily. Home. Homework. Showers. Pajamas. Snuggles and bed lunch. Goodnight kisses and hugs. Retrieving cars from the floor and finding a good story for Miss Lily to read because she has to read the stories now. She's a damn good reader and much too smart for her age at times. Downstairs I go when they get in bed and snuggle in to watch TV or work or eat my face off. Maybe a phone chat. Check Facebook. Read stupid, vapid, shallow celebrity gossip. Then this happens ... the quiet. Most times very welcomed and other times, like tonight ... just nice, just right, just weird.


Oh yeah, I almost forgot the laundry ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on...let me know what you think... or just follow me on twitter @blueallieboo and rant to me there ;)